Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A fine young man...

I will fondly remember Jake for many reasons, but most notably for the fine young man he was. From the day I started working at RIM in July of 1999 in Software Jake would always help me if he saw me carrying anything heavy, by either taking the package from me and carrying it to where I needed it to be, or he would hold the door open for me. Jake would always smile as he walked by and say “hello Tammy – how’s it going”.

It was his love and respect for life, family, friends and colleagues (and fashion) that made him special and such a fine young man. He was always smiling and always willing to help anyone! On top of all of this he had the best shoes I’ve ever seen on any man.

Several years ago he proudly came to work with a new pair of shoes, I think they were red and white, and looked like bowling shoes. I teased him by saying “hey Jake, I think you forgot to take your bowling shoes off before coming to work” and with his big smile and head up high he proudly told me the name/style of the shoes and where he got them. From that point on anytime I saw him I would always look at his shoes (after saying hello) and when I saw he was wearing a new pair I would say “nice shoes” and he would proudly reply “thanks” and give me a big smile.

After Jake moved to the Legal department I hardly ever saw him as our paths no longer crossed however, a few weeks back I bumped into Jake in the parking lot. After saying hello and asking him if he was coming back to Software (wishful thinking on my part) and commenting on his shoes, he proudly took off his glasses, smiled at me, and said “hello Tammy” while saying thanks about the shoes. He also and very proudly went on to say “nope I’m not coming back to Software, just cutting through on my way to a meeting – but thanks for asking – I do miss it there, but for now I love what I’m doing.” With that he wished me a nice evening, put his glasses back on and proudly walked on to his meeting. That was my last conversation with Jake. As he walked away I made note in my mind that he was happy (as always) and that he seemed very content with where he was in his life and how great that was to see!

For those of us that had the pleasure to get to know Jake we will always hold him dear in our hearts. Jake was a fine young man and one that Alex, his two daughters and family can be proud of forever!

Tammy

No comments: