Saturday, May 12, 2007

Biking with Jake

I first met Jake soon after I joined RIM at the end of 1999. We got along very well and ended up becoming friends. Early on he started pestering me to start biking with him. It was clear he was very passionate about it! After a month or two of this he finally got me out to try it, and it turns out he was right about how fun it was. Thank you Jake!

There's a few things about biking with Jake that stick out in my mind. I started riding on an old beater bike of mine, and regardless of how many upgrades or new bikes I purchased he'd always have suggestions on how to spend lots more money on gear. He was extremely accomodating and encouraging to people he biked with (although the instant he got a little bit of competition it all went out the window!). I have many fond memories of biking with him out to Elora, at the Hydro Cut, in Gatineau and in France.

Eventually Jake's focus and talent meant that he was leaving me in the dust, so we didn't bike as much together. I then had to content myself enjoying his stories of trips to France, Italy and the US, as well as races. He was almost comically humble. He would never brag about his successes, to the point where it was almost impossible to get him to admit he had been the best rider on a particular day. If I hadn't known him well I wouldn't have any idea how accomplished he was!

New Conversation at: 25/03/2004 12:58:29 PM
[25 12:59 PM] yes to biking?
[25 12:59 PM] yes
[25 12:59 PM] yay yay yay!!

Brian.

No comments: