Saturday, May 12, 2007

Two worlds...

I first met Jake electronically as J. Sauer, a name and part of a legacy for me to decipher in my new job at RIM 8 years ago. Little did I know that the name belonged to the lanky, not quite yet graduated, grinning lad who welcomed me over the cube wall. Throughout that first year, Jake would answer my questions with courtesy and patience. He always seemed to have a smile on his face and sense of style that allowed him to handle stressful situations with grace.

One day, amid the exhilarating chaos, I looked up from my monitor to find the tables turned: Jake was asking me a question...about wheels...bike wheels and where were good places to ride.

Riding in the Hydrocut a few weeks later, the leanest and possibly fastest dog on the planet, blurred across the path in front of me and streaked off into the woods. This was followed by a sharp whistle and the call of a familiar voice as the owner pedalled up behind. 'Don't worry, she doesn't bite.' to which I replied... 'Jake?'. This time I was a little quicker in putting two and two together as I learned that the owner of this speedy dog could only belong to one of the most talented, and enthusiatic cyclists in the region. From then on, I came to know Jake more as a cyclist than through work as we had both moved on to different areas but shared the passion of two wheels.

During a 'vacation' to 'hills' of South Carolina spring 2005, I further witnessed the depth of Jake's passion and flare for cycling as the guys would suit up each morning for the day's punishment, er, I mean, ride. But that year no one could touch Jake as each morning he would emerge dressed in a different full kit of each of his favourite teams. Later he would sit and meticulously clean his bike, the smile still on his face as he and the guys would joke about who-beat-who to the top that day. The following year he missed the South Carolina boot camp for a set of very important reasons: Alex, Stella and Mount Ventoux.

Jake always had a word of encouragement as he would race by me much the same way he had that day in the forest or as he and Alex with baby Stella would cheer myself and many others from the sidelines. Listening to his teammates talk of 'how can we work together to get Jake to the front for the sprint' speaks volumes to how talented and respected Jake was in the local racing community.

Tabi Ferguson

No comments: