Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Persistent Friend

Jake and Craig and I met periodically for lunch since working together several years ago. Jake was the one who persisted and followed up to ensure that we continued to meet even after our offices were no longer side by side.

The conversation was varied and always interesting. Jake had an animated way of telling a story that was inspiring ('unbelievable'). We talked about everything from children and child birth and schools to articles from the economist and idea conferences and how to maintain innovative cultures and market based models for product development :).

And occasionally the subject of the Jake's new bike would come up.

"You told us about that last time we met" one of us would say.

"No... this is a new one".

:)

One time my son Jordan came along to pick up a bike from the bike shop in Jake's basement. My son looked around wide eyed at the bikes. Jake took the time to setup the bike and show Jordan the bike stand and the tools he was using. On the way home Jordan told me that whatever he ended up doing when he grew up he wanted a bike shop like that :)

I will miss his council, encouragement and the persistence of his friendship. I could share with him complicated concerns and frustrations and if I needed it he would say 'I hear you, I understand why you are hesitant, but this is what you need to do'... and then he would follow up with periodic reminders 'have you done that yet?' and 'This is my encouragement email to you re...'.

I am going to miss you, Jake.

Thank you for your ear and your encouragement. When we talked I felt like great things were possible.

No comments: